Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Cowboy Bebop Session 9 - Jam Session

"HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!"
Session 9 - Jamming With Edward
Spike: Jet, do you know that there are three things that I particularly hate?
Jet: Really?
Spike: Kids, animals, and women with attitudes. So tell me, Jet, why do we have all three of them neatly gathered on this ship?!

Ahhhh, Ed.  So adorable.  So very strange.  So very, very glued to a computer screen (all things I can appreciate).  And yet still really, really thoughtful and lovable as a character.  Yes, most people would agree she's only good for comic relief and point out that she's absent from all three serious plot-involved stories, but I say who cares??  She's still totally awesome and a valid, important member of the group (I'm a little biased as, as you may have guessed, Ed is my favorite).  She's the last person to join the team, this being nearly the halfway point of the series.  The episode itself is, I believe, the first we see of future Earth, which is now a barren wasteland due to meteor showers.  The first thing our senses are bombarded with this time is a talking satellite, which is apparently lonely.... okaaaay... on Earth, a strange little red-haired boy is lying in the wreckage, surfing the Internet.  The boy seems to have found what he was looking for: the Bebop; and the Bebop seems to be looking for him-- oh no wait ok her.  And ERMAHGERD I just wanna squee at everything Ed says!!!!!  Thank you, Melissa Fahn! (speaking of, can anyone else hear a bit of Gaz in her early lines??)  
squeeeeeee
Memorable parts-- err, memorable Ed moments include her very warmly welcoming the police, the realization that Ed completed bullshitted (bullshat?) her name,  "MPU is good at drawing!" and my favorite, Ed's seeming complete lack of motives for wanting to be a member of Bebop (though I guess 'she thought it'd be fun' counts).  It's almost like she joined them because she needed people to drive insane.  Add in beautifully drawn and animated spaceships and Earth scenery, sharp, tight dialogue and of course a perfect fit for music and you've got one of my favorite episodes of one of my favorite anime out there.  Next on deck, "Ganymede Elegy"...
Oh, and "compooters".

No comments:

Post a Comment